Site Meter

Committing, With Lentils

20140113_BlogSamLentils-129When I first visited Sam’s bungalow while dating long-distance, he had glass jars perched on the kitchen shelves to house his beans and grains, all beautifully labeled and lettered. I knew I’d stumbled into something good. On my second visit to Seattle, he broke out the jar of lentils and set out to make me his “famous lentils.” I was a bit skeptical as to how famous they could really be — I’d always known them to be the reliable base for an easy vegetarian soup or the stuff of hippy deli salads. But that afternoon we made hot tea and ate the lentils standing up over the stove, straight from the pot. With the first bite I told Sam — only half kidding — never to make the famous lentils for another woman. They are that good. We’ve joked about that afternoon ever since, me playfully insisting that I’d marry him for his lentils alone.  Well, on our drive down to San Francisco a few weeks ago, that promise became more true than ever.

Cannon Beach-2013-12-21 15.45.48 People! We are engaged! I’ve been so excited to tell you here but there has been so much going on with the cookbook release, that I wanted to wait until just the right time. And this week has felt like the perfect time: Sam has been out of town and I was slowly slipping back into my “single gal” eating habits (scrambled eggs and toast or quesadillas for dinner) when I began craving his lentils. He is not a ‘write down the recipe’ kind of guy so I had to call and have him walk me through how to make them. I chose his sturdy metal hand-me-down pot, turned on the radio and got to work. It turns out that recreating someone’s famous dish from scratch does help bring them right on into the kitchen with you, even if they happen to be across the country at the time.

Heceta Head, OR-2013-12-22 13.11.36
I know many of you have been reading this site since Sam and I first began dating. In fact, I met many of you — who are now close friends — right around the time I moved back in with my mom after a long relationship ended suddenly. And I slowly wrote about dusting myself off, about moving into my own apartment for the first time, about slowly falling in love again, looking at new houses together, and taking the plunge to move to Seattle to join Sam after a good year of flying back and forth in between our two respective cities. I wasn’t always sure it would work; for anyone who has dated someone long-distance who you care about immensely,  you know that it’s really difficult. I’m a real planner and I like to slot everything into its rightful box and this was one of the first times I can recall where there was no way to envision what it would all look like or how it would come together: we didn’t know at the time who would move where, when that would be, if that would be. What would happen to my business? What would happen to my friends and family? Would we even like living together? There was no rightful box and no check-list, and I found myself panicking frequently. Sam would constantly assure me: It was all going to work out just fine. In its own time. Trust me.

2013-12-21 15.46.01
As we drove down the Oregon Coast, he reminded me again how true that promise was. Sam proposed on beautiful, rugged Cannon Beach. We were the only people on the entire swath of sand; it was as if someone had come by and cleared out the winter walkers so we could have center stage to stroll and talk about our future. We snapped some photos, we named some of the majestic rocks, we got sand in our shoes.

2013-12-21 15.46.26As we walked back to the car to continue the long drive to California, I found myself picking up the pace, eager to get back into the warm car. But Sam grabbed my arm and said we had one more photo to take. He pointed to our feet. During that year of living apart, one of the things that helped us to feel closer to one another was taking quick cell phone photos of our feet. In fact, I have a whole folder called “feet photos” that I can’t bring myself to delete: some of me in flats as I headed to work at Heath Ceramics, others in running shoes as I headed out to run around the lake. Sam would have a pair of good reliable boots or Clarks on, and when I found myself missing him I’d scan through my phone to find those photos in particular. So right before we left the blustery, misty beach we snapped a photo of both of our feet — sandy and cold — but standing together in one frame.

20140113_BlogSamLentils-104
There are a lot of lentil recipes out there and in many ways, this one doesn’t look all that different — it’s, on first glance, a standard warm French lentil salad. But I think a lot of the difference is found in the approach and preparation: Sam slices the carrots and celery very, very thin. As thin as you can get them … and then you’re just about there. He doesn’t pre-cook the carrots or celery along with the onion, finding that they’re perfectly done if they cook alongside the lentils at the same time. This version below happens to be vegetarian, but Sam will often thinly slice and cook two hot Italian sausages to then fold into the lentils as they cook. I went with a straight-up ‘what do we have in our pantry?’ version but I do love the sausage as well. The good hit of Dijon punches up the flavor, and the parsley? Totally my idea. Sam would think this a bit fussy, but after reading Tamar Adler’s book I basically toss parsley into everything. We love this for easy lunches, topped with a runny egg. I had some last night with polenta — and the night before, topped a baked sweet potato with lentils. It’s hearty winter fare which, at this point in January, feels just right.

20140113_BlogSamLentils-115

So with that: lentils. And a photo of the sky as we were driving away from Cannon Beach headed to a house full of family we’d share our big news with. The sky was so brilliant that night. Crisp and pink and bright. As evening grew nearer, it occurred to me that we’d just gotten engaged on the winter solstice: literally the shortest and darkest day of the year — a day that dictates that everything from here on out just gets lighter and brighter.

I’d like to mention that my grandmother Marge passed away a few days after Christmas this year. Many of you know her as the namesake to my granola business. I am so heartened and happy that I got to tell her about our engagement over the phone before she passed. The morning we talked, my mom told me that she was doing very poorly and probably wouldn’t be able to respond much. To everyone’s surprise, she was able to talk to me: she had a wonderful way of saying things were “major” when she was delighted with them. A really good coconut cake? Major. A new color of Tom’s  sneakers out for the summer season? Major. Sam and Megan getting engaged? That was “major, major, major, major.” This got a lot of majors. We sent a photo of the ring a little while later so she and my Gramp could see. I’m guessing that might have gotten a “major,” too. Her spunk will be greatly missed at our wedding; I have a feeling her spirit won’t.

Southern Oregon-2013-12-22 16.47.58

Sam’s Lentils
These lentils are even better the next day, so we’ll often make a pot with the intention of not serving them for a day or two. When reheating, you may want to add a little extra water — the lentils can settle in and soak up a bit of the liquid as they sit.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic (or more, if you like!), very thinly sliced
2 medium carrots, very thinly sliced
1 celery stalk, very thinly sliced
1 cup green lentils, French Le Puy if you can find them
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper, plus more to taste
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley, to top (optional)
fried egg, to top (optional)

Put a kettle or a pot (containing about 4 cups water) on the stove and bring to a boil.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until soft and translucsent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Fold in the carrots and celery.

Add the lentils to the saucepan and stir to coat with the onion mixture. Pour the boiling water into the pan and stop when the level is about ½-inch over the top of the lentils (should be roughly 3 1/2 cups of water). Bring back to a good boil, reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and cook the lentils for about 20 minutes. Stir in the mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper and cook an additional 10-15 minutes – or until lentils are tender but still slightly chewy.

Remove from the heat and let sit for ten minutes. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper.

Serve warm – with a lightly-fried egg and a sprinkling of parsley on top if you’d like. Leftovers can be covered and refrigerated for an additional 4-5 days.

1. Posted January 21, 2014 at 4:56 am

Congrats! What a beautiful post!

2. Posted January 21, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I am here on your website for the very first time ever, reading this post as an introduction to you, as prompted by a link from Joy the Baker. She had me at “her words (and lentils) are lovely.” So here I am, reading your lovely words about a moment in your life and not knowing you at all. But my boyfriend and I take feet pictures. For seven months we texted feet pictures back and forth over a long distance. Our feet actually brought us together in the beginning. And so even though I barely know you, even by internet standards, I felt that silly connection. Congratulations on finding another pair of feet to walk down the beach with. That’s so epic!

3. Shannon
    Posted January 21, 2014 at 2:20 pm

This is my first time to your site. I became interested in your book through Heidi and Molly’s sites. I’m definitely ordering it! So far, I’ve only read this post, but I had to comment. My husband and I were long distance (me in SF and he in WA) while we dated, and he proposed to me on Cannon Beach. One of our favorite surfing spots is just north of CB. We have now been married for five incredible years, live in the Seattle area, and have an amazing little guy keeping us busy. I wish you all the happiness we’ve had and more!

4. Lisa
    Posted January 21, 2014 at 5:00 pm

This is such a lovely post. You have a way with words and your recipes are inspiring! Thanks and congratulations on your engagement!

5. Posted January 21, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Big beautiful congratulations to you both! You know how to start a new year. =)

Can’t wait to make these lentils for breakfast.

6. Posted January 21, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Huge, happy congratulations to you both!!!! And I’ll be making lentils soon :) Yay!!

7. Posted January 22, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Congratulations, what a beautiful post. Major indeed. I adore the look of this recipe and cannot wait to make it, thank you for sharing.
    Heidi xo

8. Posted January 22, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I was so happy to meet you in person tonight at the Book Larder. I enjoyed your informative talk. Thanks for signing my copy of your book. All the best on the Book Tour and congratulations on your engagement!

9. Posted January 23, 2014 at 1:17 am

Firstly, CONGRATULATIONS on your engagement! Secondly, this is the first time I’ve ever been to your blog. I absolutely love the style, and this lentil recipe is incredible. I particularly love the addition of a fried egg on top; you’re speaking my language. Much happiness to you and yours!

10. megang
    Posted January 23, 2014 at 8:23 am

Thank you so much, Marta. I so enjoyed meeting you as well and hope you find some recipes in the book that keep you going through our gray Seattle winter. All my very, very best – Megan

11. Celeste
    Posted January 23, 2014 at 9:56 am

Beautiful engagement story…all the best to you both! I’m not a big lentil fan but in honor of your engagement + a tasty sounding recipe I will give it a try (egg on top kinda sold me).

12. megang
    Posted January 23, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Thank you so much, Alison! So glad you made your way around to the blog … and yes to eggs on top of pretty much anything. Happy cooking!

13. megang
    Posted January 23, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Thanks so much, Aimee!

14. megang
    Posted January 23, 2014 at 4:32 pm

SHANNON! What an unusual coincidence / similarity … thank you for sharing your story. Cannon Beach is so, so beautiful – this was my first time there but hoping to go back in the summer when it’s a bit warmer (it was really, really cold in Dec.). Thank you so much for taking the time to comment – and congratulations to you on 5 years + little one. Introduce yourself sometime if you ever go to the Ballard Farmers Market (I am there most weeks with Marge Granola). ~Megan

15. megang
    Posted January 23, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Hi Julia! Thanks so much for sharing your story — and long live feet photos! I hope you enjoy the blog and the recipes / stories here. Happy (almost) weekend, Megan

16. Posted January 23, 2014 at 9:12 pm

You have had a really amazing month, Megan. Congrats on the engagement! Cannon Beach is one of my favorite spots. The solstice part made me smile. Also, my condolences regarding your grandma. What a beautiful gift that you get to honor her with her batch of granola. I hope making it helps deal with the grief.

Best wishes with your tour. I was sorry to miss your Seattle dates.

(BTW, I’ve lost count of how many recipes I’ve made from your book. They all have been fabulous. Your Very Best Oatmeal is now our most common way to start the day and the ENTIRE family is pleased. Amen to that.)

17. Posted January 26, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Am very sorry to hear about Marge’s passing. I remember your post explaining why you called the business Marge, and you had old photos of her. I think she had thick dark hair. I hope your grandad is doing okay.

Love a good lentil recipe. Since it is 42 degrees here, might hold off awhile. Also, you totally had me going when you swapped between the recipe and the ah-mazingly romantic engagement story- I was like fuck the lentils, let’s go back to the engagement! Haha! (Mind my potty mouth)

I love how you can tie so many stories into the one strand so naturally and seemingly easily like they all belong together, and I guess they do.

18. Posted January 29, 2014 at 10:24 am

smiles!!

19. Posted January 31, 2014 at 4:30 am

The best feeling in the world! Congratulations!

20. Posted February 3, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Megan, Congrats on the engagement AND on finding a man who knows how to cook a mean pot of lentils. Had these for lunch yesterday and today, and can’t get enough of them-the mustard and red wine vinegar is just right. I doubled the batch to freeze half, but I don’t know that they’ll last that long. You have a lovely life of goodness ahead of you, with that man and that pot of beans. THanks for sharing!

21. Posted February 3, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Megan, I’ve enjoyed peeking at your site for several months, and this recipe is finally prompting me to comment. What a beautiful post, between the joy of your engagement, the loss of your beloved grandmother, and a commitment-worthy recipe indeed! These lentils were the perfect thing to cook during a recent snowstorm, and I’ve already made them again for friends who have swooned over this dish, especially when topped with a poached egg. I hope your cookbook tour will eventually bring you to NYC, and I look forward to working my way through those recipes too!

22. Maressa
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 9:29 am

Congrats, what a sweet story! I am making those lentils straight away, they look delicious!

23. Ingrid
    Posted February 11, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Loved the lentils! They were better the second day. I skipped the egg and added goat feta. Delish!

24. megang
    Posted February 11, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Awesome, Ingrid!
    I’m so glad. Enjoy the week, ~m

25. Lisa
    Posted March 29, 2014 at 10:26 am

These lentils are wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

26. Mary
    Posted August 15, 2014 at 12:00 pm

I just stumbled upon this post and almost lost it when you mentioned taking photos of your shoes to feel closer to each other. My husband and I dated long-distance (Michigan to NJ) and I always feel a sort of kinship with other former long-distancers – it’s not easy, but I think it does create a bond that you wouldn’t have otherwise. I’m so happy that things worked out for you and your beau!

27. megang
    Posted August 15, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Oh thank you so much, Mary. It’s not easy … but so often can work out. Glad you’re enjoying the blog. ~Megan

28. Celeste
    Posted November 7, 2014 at 1:08 pm

What a simple and beautiful recipe. I think I’ll make it with an English banger sliced on top.
    I live in the Seattle area. Where might I acquire Lentilles Du Poy? Most the green lentils around here are from Oregon.

29. megang
    Posted November 8, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Hi Celeste: We get ours in the bulk bins at PCC. Do you have a PCC where you live? If not, perhaps online? Best of luck + have a great weekend, ~Megan

4 Trackbacks

1. By Weekend links | Simple Bites on January 25, 2014 at 10:25 pm

[…] Warm French Lentils with Egg :: A Sweet Spoonful […]

2. […] This lentil salad … with a chunk of goats cheese on […]

3. By to live for | flourbutterandwhitewine on February 4, 2014 at 10:05 am

[…] from A Sweet Spoonful […]

4. By A Day in My Life…. on February 24, 2014 at 6:26 am

[…] a bit of time and space to focus on a project I’m working on.  So this was lunch.  These lentils are everything you could hope for and more – because if you’re like me you….  But no, seriously, I’ve made these three times in two weeks and they are the ultimate […]